Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Saints to use Bush against the Raiders
0 Comment
August 25
New Orleans Times-Picayune

Share Article

"After sitting out Saturday night's 38-14 exhibition victory at Houston with a strained calf muscle, Saints running back Reggie Bush said he is ready to play in Saturday's preseason game at Oakland.

Although he sat out Monday's practice, Bush said he is healthy and expects to get a heavy dose of playing time.

"It's just precautionary, taking it slow, building back to the season," Bush said of missing the game against the Texans. "I'm sure I'll play quite a bit this game. I know I'm looking forward to it."

Bush strained a calf muscle in his right leg during post-practice conditioning drills Thursday morning in Houston, but he said the calf is fine. Bush suffered the injury while running pass patterns with quarterback Drew Brees following the Saints' two-hour workout against the Texans.

He also said his surgically repaired left knee is 100 percent.

Coach Sean Payton has taken it slowly with Bush during training camp, allowing the fourth-year running back to rest during several workouts. Bush has sat out or been limited in 10 of the team's 26 training camp practices, including a scrimmage.

He said the lack of work during training camp won't be a hindrance, though.

"I don't think I need a lot of reps," he said. "But it's just a matter of getting myself back to full-game speed and when it's live bullets seemingly and taking hits."

Against the Raiders, Payton said Bush likely will be on the field for about 20 plays.

"We gauge it by how we feel he is doing in practice," Payton said of Bush's workload. "I think he has had a good training camp. I want to give him playing time in this game, and then I think he'll be close to being ready. I would like to see him get out there in this game and get at least 20 snaps.""

No comments:

Blog Archive