Thursday, August 27, 2009

The Best Quotes of the Oakland Raiders During Camp
Posted by: Chris Shellcroft

The Oakland Raiders have concluded their final practice of training camp in Napa.

Thanks to David White and Jerry McDonald for their blow-by-blow accounts of practice via Twitter each day. They gave Raider fans everywhere a bird’s eye view of their favorite team as they prepare for the regular season.

In honor of the Raiders making it through 33 practices in 31 days, here are the best quotes during camp.

The Best of Javon Walker

“I’m excited about still letting Oakland see what Javon has to offer because I’m young. I’m in my prime right now. My ability hasn’t changed, my enthusiasm hasn’t changed. I’m just excited to be back to the Javon that was that first year in Denver and the Javon that was in Green Bay and all of a sudden translate it to here. So, that’s what I’m most excited about.” – Javon Walker on the upcoming season

“It’s something new … it’s going to be something amazing that’s going to benefit and help a lot of athletes.” – Javon on the knee surgery he secretly had during the off-season

“I don’t know where it was done. I’m clueless.” – Javon’s response when asked where in the world he had the surgery performed

Tom Cable: An Old School Kinda Guy

“No, we go to work.” – Tom Cable’s response when asked if he would end the final practice of training camp early

“The one thing I will tell you is, when all the facts come out, everything will be fine.” – Cable responds to the on-going assault investigation

“Having little quarrels is good, remember that this is football and they’re men. If you have a brother you know it’s OK to settle some things once in awhile.” – Tom Cable on fights in camp

“I mentioned when I got hired, I thought the fans in Oakland have been great, they’ve been very supportive, it’s high time this team gives something back. And that’s the goal this year. We’ve got to bring this team and this community together.” – Cable on Raider Nation

“There is no secret that we have had a discipline problem in the last few years.” – Cable on the Raiders and their penalty woes over the years

Fights, Trash Talking and Big Expectations

“You know, he’s a real confident guy and he’s talking a lot of trash lately… Not to me, but you know to the DBs.” – Nnamdi Asomugha on Darrius Heyward-Bey

“Going against Nnamdi.” – Heyward-Bey on the biggest adjustment to the NFL

“Twitter that!” – Michael Huff to Kirk Morrison (one of the more active Raiders on Twitter) while looking at the damage done to Nnamdi Asomugha’s Mercedes after someone backed into it in the parking lot

“They know the plays. Don’t you go overrate them.” – Louis Murphy on the Raider secondary getting the better of the wide receivers in practice

“Intensity is good, though, and aggressiveness is good, and maybe there will be a fight or two. Maybe we’ll get the juices flowing that way, but it will be good.” – Nnamdi on the start of training camp

“A Florida guy. They’ve got two national championships, so I guess you feel like you can come into this league and talk. I was telling one of the guys, the national championships on this level is equivalent to a high school state championship. Nobody cares.” – 49er cornerback Dre Bly on Louis Murphy after a joint practice between Oakland and San Francisco

“So if they don’t want to get in the limelight, like I tell them all the time, I’ll get in it. I ain’t scared to get in the limelight. Y’all don’t want me in y’all limelight, though. Or y’all ain’t getting it back.” – Johnnie Lee Higgins on the competition with other wide receivers after the injury to Chaz Schilens

“I didn’t want to get him like that. I wanted to get him in the field. I should win in a wrestling match. He is a receiver.” – Michael Mitchell on his scuffle with Louis Murphy in practice

“I feel like we can all have great seasons and all complement each other well. Three 1,000-yard backs isn’t out of the question.” – Justin Fargas on sharing carries with Michael Bush and Darren McFadden

“That’s what I do. Once we start getting live and everything I definitely want to start taking my shots because that’s what I’m known for that’s why I’m here. I want to show people why I was drafted.” – Michael Mitchell on the hit he laid on Gary Russell

“I haven’t been here long, but it’s been interesting. It’s my third year, and there’s never a dull moment . . . guys are like, `What happened? Oh.’ Then it’s back to work. Nothing surprises you any more.” – Jay Richardson on playing in Oakland

Thoughts on Al Davis, JaMarcus Russell’s Weight and Randy Hanson

“I know he knows defense. The great thing is he is like me. He’s long in the tooth and he’s old school. It’s line up, there’s your guy, cover him. And there goes the ball, you go out there and tackle him. There’s the blocker, you knock his butt off and go to the ball. He’s old school. Keep it simple and play hard. And he’s very smart. He knows his football. Believe me.” – Defensive Coordinator John Marshall on Al Davis

“Sure, this is Al Davis’s defense. It’s the same deal and we love it.” – Jay Richardson on John Marshall’s “new” defense

“Right now … a little heavy but I am not 300 pounds like ya’ll said the last time.” – JaMarcus Russell on his weight

“That’s between he and I and we’re working on that. He’s doing really good right now.” – Cable on Russell’s weight

“He hasn’t been around here and we haven’t seen much of him. They keep him in the offices.” – Hiram Eugene on Randy Hanson

No comments:

Blog Archive