Wednesday, August 12, 2009



Sacking future Pro Football Hall of Fame quarterback Brett Favre twice in one game might signal to some that they have arrived as an NFL player.

Raiders defensive end Trevor Scott isn't content being remembered for two plays against the New York Jets last season, or being labeled as a skinny guy who can't do anything other than rush the passer, so he has worked hard at building upon his surprising rookie season.

"I can run fast," Scott said, "but I really want to hone in on my run-game (defense) because I want to be out making tackles. I love tackling, too. I just don't want to be looked at as, 'Trevor's out there; pass rush.' I want to be that complete defensive end that can do both."

To that end, Scott returned to his New York home after his rookie season, hit the weights harder than ever, worked on his speed and technique and set some rather lofty goals for his sophomore season.

"I want to start, I want to get double-digit sacks and just try to run as well as I can," Scott said.

Scott, 6-foot-5 and 255 pounds, has impressed coach Tom Cable enough that he is running with the first team at right defensive end, ahead of incumbent Jay Richardson.

"Like every second-year guy, he's tasted it," Cable said. "He really was productive about the last seven weeks (of last season). Now you want to see him take the next step, where he can play every down if you ask him to, be as good a run player as he is a pass rusher."

Scott counts himself among those who struggle to grasp the concept of a former college tight end developing into a productive NFL defensive end.

Four years ago, he was catching passes for the University of Buffalo and contemplating a career path that didn't include the NFL.

That all changed when he converted to defensive end after his sophomore season and registered 19 sacks and 28½ tackles for loss his final two seasons. The Raiders selected him in the sixth round of the 2008 draft.

An injury to two-time Pro Bowl defensive end Derrick Burgess early last season created an opportunity for Scott to play. He responded well right away and tied for the team lead in sacks with five.

Scott's versatility and athleticism also give defensive coordinator John Marshall more flexibility. For instance, Scott is fast enough to drop into coverage and also can play on either side of the line.

"Trevor's the kind of player who gives us maximum effort every single down," middle linebacker Kirk Morrison said. "He never stops trying to make a play. It's guys like him who others feed off."

Now that Scott has a season on the NFL books, he said he finally feels he belongs.

"My comfort level is so much higher," he said. "I'm not out here searching, feeling my way around with things. I don't have that mind-set of, 'Oh, man, I'm in the NFL now. These guys are great.' They are great, but I feel like I'm great, too."



.............................................


No comments:

Blog Archive