Saturday, May 3, 2008

2008 Season - Day 8 - McFadden the Blog Back

McFadden: blogger extraordinaire

New Raiders running back Darren McFadden isn't just a superstar scoring machine, but he's tech savvy as well.

The former Arkansas star has an ongoing blog that, in recent months covered everything from his predraft visits to Memphis basketball and his tattoo collection.

Yesterday, he updated his blog with a post about last weekend's visit to Oakland. He sounds real humble and genuine, and very well could be the first Raider to say on the record that the local reporters "cool."

Here's what he had to type:

"I gotta tell you Yardbarkers, it was a relief to finally get picked by the Raiders. It was such a long process and you're constantly wondering where you're going to be and who your teammates are and who is going to be your coach. I can tell you this I don't get asked where you going 5,000 times a day anymore. Now it's just congratulations. I like that much better."

"I was thrilled to hear my name called. I had such a good visit to Oakland and really liked the coaching staff. When they picked me I was just so happy. What really made it special to me is that i was able to share all of it with my family. My mom and dad and stepmom were there and they flew with me to Oakland after I was picked. They were all very excited and being able to share that experience with them was a great honor for me."

"After doing all the interviews in New York we hopped on a flight to Oakland. It was the longest flight I've ever taken. I watched two movies, one of them was Juno and the other I can't remember. Juno was pretty good but I started to dose a little at the end. I tried to get some sleep but I just couldn't sleep. Too excited I guess and hoping everyone in Oakland was going to embrace me. We got in around 12:30, went to the hotel and I went straight to bed. The next day we went to the facility and met the coaching staff. Then I did a press conference and met the media. They were all pretty cool. It was my first day with my new team."

Us media guys get to see McFadden hit the field in his No. 20 jersey at next weekend's rookie minicamp (May 9-11). However, the Raiders sent out an email saying Saturday is the only time for media availbility -- so that blows up the round-the-clock coverage.

No comments: