Sunday, May 11, 2008

2008 Season - Day 16 - Photos

"I'm kind of nervous. I haven't seen this in a while."

Raiders running back Michael Bush wasn't referring to the football field when he made that statement, rather the media throng as he sat behind numerous microphones.

The same can be applied to the media.


It has been a while since Bush was in the football spotlight. His last taste perhaps came in the fall of 2006, when he was a Heisman Trophy hopeful for Louisville. Then came a broken right leg in the season opener against Kentucky.

Suddenly Bush became a man on the mend, a stint that lasted through 2007 after the Raiders selected him in the fourth round of the NFL draft.

And because he spent last season on the physically unable to perform list, Bush is eligible to participate in this weekend's rookie minicamp.

It's not exactly how he envisioned things in the fall of 2006.

"It's awkward, but at the same time, I love it because I've been out of football," Bush said. "And I'm just glad to be doing football plays and getting out there and running around and showing the coaches that I'm healthy and that I'm fine and I'm ready to play."

The Raiders' decision not to release LaMont Jordan last fall kept Bush from joining Oakland's backfield in 2007. Bush was allowed to practice with the team toward the end of last season, but once the Raiders didn't activate him, he went back to individual workouts.

The meeting room for running backs remains crowded. Dominic Rhodes is gone, but the Raiders selected running back Darren McFadden with the fourth overall pick in last month's draft. Bush watched the draft and was puzzled that the team would add to its deepest position.

"At first I was like, Why do we need another back?, because, at the time, we did have Dominic, and LaMont still on the roster, and (Justin) Fargas and me," Bush said. " … It kind of bothered me, but it didn't because he can help us. … I'm glad that he's on our side."

The buzz about McFadden was considerable coming off his All-America season at Arkansas. Bush, who rushed for 2,508 yards and 39 touchdowns for Louisville, might have had the same hype if not for his injury.

"Actually, I was watching the game when he broke his leg," McFadden said. "It was the only time I really got to see him play."

They have seen a lot of each other this weekend. When they're not rotating plays, they're on the field together to give the Raiders' offense some new looks.

McFadden is known as a speedster, and Bush is different from the other Raiders running backs mainly because he looks more like a linebacker. Listed at 6-foot-1, 245 pounds, he spent a lot of time solidifying his frame in the weight room.

On the field, Bush moves fine and says the knot in his shin is the only reminder of his broken leg. He's eagerly awaiting the exhibition season so he can hit someone for the first time in almost two years.

"I think Michael's in a great place right now," coach Lane Kiffin said. "It was a good challenge for him for us to have drafted Darren, for him to see that. It's kind of similar to what Justin went through last year … Rhodes comes in, LaMont's here, and Fargas just keeps working and working. I think it's going to continue to show up, and we'll keep using (Bush) in different ways as camp goes on."

That just wasn't coach-talk from Kiffin.

Bush said he was "happy" the Raiders drafted McFadden and that he would play special teams just to get on the field.

"I think the coaches still know what I can bring to the table, as well," Bush said. "I've never doubted myself at any point. And as far as team-wise, bringing in the best guy that was on the board at the time is good because it'll also help us out as a winning team."



No comments: